How to air seal attic can lights –DIY home improvement tips – Rule Your Attic! with ENERGY STAR
In this Vine-style video learn how to identify and seal air leaks around a can light/recessed light in your attic. Can lights or recessed lights in your attic floor are notorious for air leaks allowing conditioned air to leak into your attic and making your home less energy efficient. By sealing these gaps, you can save money, save energy, make your home more comfortable, and reduce the emissions that contribute to climate change. And, it’s easy to do yourself.
Here are the steps to seal air leaks around recessed lights in your attic:
1. Turn off the light associated with the fixture you are sealing
2. Carefully enter your attic (for safety you may want to lay a piece of plywood across the floor joists to stand or kneel on) and find the recessed light or ‘can.’
3. Pull existing insulation away from the base of the can (be careful as the can may still be hot).
4. Place your insulation cap over the can to make sure it fits properly.
5. If necessary, remove the cap and make modifications to it so that the bottom rim lies completely flat against the attic floor when placed over the can (you may need to mark the cap’s base with a pen to indicate places where the cap needs to be cut to fit over any supporting brackets.
6. If necessary, cut the areas on the cap you’ve marked.
7. Once the insulation cap is placed over the can and lies flush against the attic floor, apply spray foam around the base of the cap and let it dry and cure for at least 30 minutes.
8. Once the foam is dried, cover the cap with the existing insulation.
9. You’re done with this step! Now there are a couple of other things you can do to improve your home’s energy efficiency:
– Make sure you have enough insulation in your attic; learn how to measure your insulation : https://youtu.be/mrkqiRY3drU?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
– Determine how much R-value you need for where you live : http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_inspections#attic
– Check for other air leaks : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Not enough insulation in your attic? Time to install more. Not sure if you can handle the job yourself? Watch this video to find out if you should DIY or hire a contractor: https://youtu.be/EAviffw4SFk?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
And be sure to check for any ENERGY STAR partner rebates offered in your area: http://www.energystar.gov/rebate-finder
Take the ENERGY STAR pledge and track your energy efficient improvements at My ENERGY STAR: https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/myEnergyStar
Subscribe to the ENERGY STAR channel for more ideas to save energy: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=EPAENERGYSTAR
Visit us on social media…
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/energystar
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/energystar
Get ideas on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/energystar
Visit The Energy Source: http://www.energystar.gov/about/newsroom/the-energy-source
For more about EPA: http://www.epa.gov/
We accept comments according to our comment policy: http://blog.epa.gov/blog/comment-policy/
NOTE: This video only contains music. There are no captions available.