How to air seal attic plumbing pipe – DIY home improvement tips – Rule Your Attic! with ENERGY STAR
In this Vine-style video learn how to identify a plumbing pipe/plumbing vent in your attic and seal leaks surrounding it. Plumbing pipes and plumbing vents that penetrate your attic floor can have gaps around them and leak air making your home less energy efficient. By sealing these gaps, you can save money, save energy, make your home more comfortable, and reduce the emissions that contribute to climate change. And, it’s easy to do yourself.
Here are the steps to seal the leaks around your plumbing pipes/plumbing vents:
1. Carefully enter your attic (for safety you may want to lay a piece of plywood across the floor joists to stand or kneel on) and identify the plumbing pipe (vent). The pipe will be made of either plastic or cast iron – and it shouldn’t be hot to the touch! If it is, it’s a flue and not the pipe you want to seal!
2. Once the pipe is identified, push back the existing insulation around it.
3. Once the existing insulation is pushed aside, look for gaps between the pipe and attic floor.
4. If the gaps are large, stuff fiberglass insulation into the gaps so the spray foam does not fall in.
5. Then, apply spray foam over the gaps around the pipe and let the foam dry and cure for at least 30 minutes.
6. Once the foam is dried, replace existing insulation over foam.
7. You’re done with this step! Now there are a couple of other things you can do to improve your home’s energy efficiency:
– Make sure you have enough insulation in your attic; learn how to measure your insulation : https://youtu.be/mrkqiRY3drU?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
– Determine how much R-value you need for where you live : http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_inspections#attic
– Check for other air leaks : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Not enough insulation in your attic? Time to install more. Not sure if you can handle the job yourself? Watch this video to find out if you should DIY or hire a contractor: https://youtu.be/EAviffw4SFk?list=PLMvJzVnMdhhvJQDT87dQSbZ68yzExp6PD
Want to save money? Be sure to check for any ENERGY STAR partner rebates offered in your area: http://www.energystar.gov/rebate-finder
Take the ENERGY STAR pledge and track your energy efficient improvements at My ENERGY STAR: https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/myEnergyStar
Subscribe to the ENERGY STAR channel for more ideas to save energy: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=EPAENERGYSTAR
Visit us on social media…
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/energystar
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/energystar
Get ideas on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/energystar
Visit The Energy Source: http://www.energystar.gov/about/newsroom/the-energy-source
For more about EPA: http://www.epa.gov/
We accept comments according to our comment policy: http://blog.epa.gov/blog/comment-policy/
NOTE: This video only contains music. There are no captions available.